Eden Girls' College originated from a school for Brahmo girls established by ShubhaSadhiniSabha (a philanthropic society) in Dhaka in 1873. Initially, the classes of the school were conducted in a private house at Farashganj. In 1878, the school was merged with another private girls' school to form Dhaka Female School. The same year the school administration took the initiative to bring it under government management and proposed it be called Eden Girls' School after the Lieutenant Governor Sir Ashley Eden. Given its new status, it started functioning at a new location at Laxmibazar.
Eden was the first government girls' school in Bengal. In 1896-97, it had 130 students. It was recognized by the government as an 'excellent high school' of the provinces of Eastern Bengal and Assam. When the school building was damaged in the earthquake of 1897, it was temporarily shifted to a private house. Sometime later, it was again shifted to one of the big business houses of Portuguese merchants at sadarghat. Intermediate classes (grades 11 and 12) were introduced in the school in 1926. Since then it got the name of Eden Girls' High School and Intermediate College. A.K.FazlulHuq (Sher-e-Bangla) in his capacity as the Education Minister shifted the school to a new building on Abdul Ghani Road, later known as Eden Building. In 1947, the government decided to establish its Provincial Secretariat in this building and the college got a new temporary address in a part of Curzon Hall. Frequent shifting put the college into an uncertain situation and with an intention to merge with Quamrunnesa School and College, it shifted to the premises of the latter. In 1958, the college sections of these two institutions merged and formed Eden Girls' College. The new college was located at Bakshibazar. The school sections of the two colleges were merged to form Quamrunnesa School at Tikatuli.
|Type||:||Govt. University College.|
|Area of Land||:||18 Acres|
|Number of Faculties||:||4|
|Number of Departments||:||22|
|Number of Students||:||35,000 (Appx.)|
|Number of Teachers||:||240|
|Number of Employees||:||74|
|Number of Hostels||:||6|
|Vice Principal||:||Professor Swapna RaniSaha|
The current campus of the Eden College was developed in 1962 on 18 acres (73,000 m2) of land at Azimpur. Meanwhile, the college opened its degree Programme in this new premises, but its intermediate section continued to stay at Bakshibazar. Subsequently, the Azimpur campus of Eden introduced its own intermediate classes. The Bakshibazar section introduced independent degree classes, taking afterwards the name of Government Girls' College, and later, Badrunnesa College.
The official name of the college has been changed to Eden Mohila College since its affiliation with National University of Bangladesh. The Azimpur campus got its independent identity as Eden Girls' College in 1963. At present besides six buildings the college has six hostels for the students. An eleven storied modern girl’s hostel having 1000 seats is awaiting for inauguration. In this college there is a two storied central library which has a collection of 44000 books and 2000 journals and newsletters. It provides facilities for day–night study to the students. Besides that 22 departments have their own seminar. In the college premise along with the Principal’s residence there are four quarters for the superintendents of the hostels. A medical centre for primary health care of the students has been established. An ATM booth under the management of Dutch-Bangla Bank has been established for monetary transaction related to student education. BRTC offers bus service to the girls for safe coming and going .Very soon construction of separate halls for examination will start. Hostels have good catering service. Work is going on at a good pace in the Canteen to improve the management and quality of food. Eden Mohila college has an administrative building and four more academic buildings .There are four faculties in which there are 22 departments offering B.A. Honours and (Including M.A.Part-1 and M.A. Final year) Masters course. ICT department has been opened recently. The college is now included in WI-FI Zone. In this college almost 35000 students are studying and 240 teachers are employed here. Students of the college take part in Rover Scouting and national level sports competitions in the field of hockey, badminton, handball and athletics.